1. The North West company included many men who had been ___________
3. The main method of transportation used to transport people and
furs was the __________.
6. The company that was the main rival of HBC was the _____________
9. The beaver was the most ____________ animal in the fur trade.
10. The ship that Groseilliers used to bring the first load of furs
from Hudson Bay to England was called ____________.
13. The Red River Colony was started by Lord ___________.
14. The English king, __________ II, granted HBC Charter in
15. A normal meal on the trade route would include ___________,
made from dried buffalo meat and fat.
17. The best route to take furs to England was the __________ Bay
1. When explorers first came to North America in the 1500s, they
were looking for a way to __________.
2. The discoverer of Hudson Bay was __________ Hudson.
3. Who was the first explorer known to trade furs with First Nations
peoples, in what later became known as Canada?
4. The two most powerful European countries involved in the fur
trade in the 1700s were England and ___________.
5. The girls who came from France to marry settlers in New France
were called "_______ du roi" because the king (roi) had
paid for the trip.
7. The two men who made HBC possible by showing that furs could
be brought from Hudson Bay were Groseilliers and __________.
8. The fighting between HBC and the North West Company reached
its worst point in the "Battle of ________ Oaks."
11. After 1970, HBC headquarters moved to Winnipeg, and the company
became more involved in the ______________ of animals. conservation
12. Fur traders in canoes often had to get out of their canoes and
_________ across land.
15. Pierre d'Iberville is famous for capturing York Factory by using
his ship ____________ to beat three English ships.
16. The man who convinced the king to sign HBC Charter was Prince