Early magazines and periodicals are prized by scholars in the arts and social sciences as a window into all aspects of social life. As part of our project to preserve all Canadian magazines prior 1920, Canadiana.org has digitized a selection of popular women's magazines for long-term preservation on Early Canadian Online:
• The Canadian Home Journal (25 issues, 1895-1901)
• Canadian Home Journal (16 issues, 1910-18)
• Ladies' Pictorial Weekly (18 issues, 1892)
• Delineator (49 issues, 1891-1900)
• The Canadian Queen (19 issues, 1890-92)
Historians, sociologists, and media scholars debate the extraordinarily ambiguous roles these publications played in women's lives and fortunes: on the one hand, giving voice to women writers; on the other, promoting domestic life, tawdry romances, and consumer goods as the natural focus of women’s ambitions.
Early Canadian Periodicals
Learn more about ECP, our project to digitize all Canadian periodicals until 1920: How it got started, how it works, and the treasures to be found in it.