PDF Version | Word Version | Rich Text Format | Text Format
Pioneers and Immigrants Crossword
An activity for use with the Canada in the Making site
Answers available in the alternate versions above.
1. In British North America, ____________ reserves were lands set aside for the Church of England.
2. The Canadian ____________ Railway was instrumental in opening the West to European settlement.
5. The ______________ Famine in Ireland cause a large number of immigrants to seek new lives in Canada, the United States and other British colonies.
6. The French established a strong trading and military outpost on Île Royale called _____________.
9. The first people to settle in North America were the ______________.
12. In New France, the _____________ were people who owned the land that habitants worked.
15. The "_________ children" were orphans sent to Canada to work as farm labourers of domestic helpers.
16. The French fought a 90-year war with what First Nation?
17. In 1867, the government of Canada purchased _____________ land from the Hudson’s Bay Company.
18. The Selkirk Settlement was established in an area where many Aboriginals and ___________ already lived.
19. The _______________ were French settlers in what is now the Maritimes.
1. _________________ created the first truly permanent settlement in what is now Canada near what is now Québec City.
3. Irish nationalists, known as _________________, were threat that became a major contributor to the movement for Confederation.
4. After the American Revolution, thousands of _____________ fled to the British colony of Québec.
7. Landowners who owned land in the British North American colonies, but did not live there, were known as _______________ landlords.
8. The ________________ Company was formed to sell land to settlers in Canada.
10. The _____________ Act of 1869 dealt mainly with preventing diseases from entering Canada and ensuring the safety of passengers on board immigrant ships.
11. Under Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Sir Clifford _____________ encouraged immigration to the west – but only wanted immigrants from Europe.
13. The _________________ Railroad brought Blacks seeking to escape slavery to British North American colonies.
14. ______________ immigrants were given the most dangerous jobs on the construction of the CPR.