Constitutional Act, 1791
Some important sections:
- Section I: Repeals parts of Québec
Act, 1774 dealing with powers and composition of the
- Section II: Divides the province of Québec into two
new provinces: Upper Canada and Lower Canada.
- Sections III-XXI: Provide for an appointed Legislative
Council and an elected Legislative
Assembly, and the terms for those bodies.
- Section XXX: Gives the governor power to withhold assent
to bills passed by the Legislative Council and Assembly.
- Sections XXXV-XXXVI: Catholic faith to continue to be respected,
but provisions made for lands to be set aside Section I: to
support the Protestant clergy in each province (i.e.: clergy