Canadian Army Medical Corps records now online
Some 21,500 men and women served in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (CAMC) during the First World War, including medics, stretcher-bearers, roughly 3,000 nurses who cared for wounded soldiers in conditions of extreme hardship, and surgeons who delivered pioneering medical care to bodies shattered by industrialized warfare. Records relating to these units, as well as others in Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), are being acquired, preserved, and released for convenient access on Early Canadiana Online as part of the centennial of the First World War.
About CEF Nominal Rolls
As Canada mobilized for the First World War, each unit of the CEF published a register, or Nominal Roll of Officers, Non-commissioned Officers and Men, listing the names, ranks, countries of birth, and dates and places of enlistment for each member of the unit, often with next of kin and address. These registers describe units as recruited and organized in Canada, often within a particular geographical region. Page one usually lists the commanding officers in order of rank; other members follow on succeeding pages in alphabetical order.
No. 1 Clearing Hospital (1915)
Nos. 1, 2, 3, Field Ambulances (1916)
16th Field Ambulance (1917)
No. 1 Stationary Hospital (1915)
No. 2 Stationary Hospital (1915)
No. 9 Stationary Hospital (1917)
No. 10 Stationary Hospital (1917)
Nursing Sisters Reinforcing Drafts (1915)
No. 3 Casualty Clearing Station (1915)
No. 1 General Hospital (1915)
No. 3 General Hospital (1915)
No. 4 General Hospital (1915)
No. 5 General Hospital (1917)
Ontario Military Hospital, C.A.M.C. (1916) / established by the Government of Ontario in Orpington, Kent, for the care and comfort of Canadian, Commonwealth, and Allied troops. Constructed in 1915-16, the hospital boasted 1,040 beds organized into 20 wards, all staffed by nurses and surgeons of the Canadian Army Medical Corps. In 1917, the hospital was expanded and reorganized as the No. 16 Canadian General Hospital. More than 25,000 casualties passed through its walls, many receiving pioneering reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation therapy.
Army Medical Corps (reinforcements) (1915)